Friday 28 September 2012

Day out to see dead people

Yesterday the Icheon Education Department took us out for our yearly cultural excursion. Initially I was given the choice whether I wanted to join, but then about a week ago I was told that, because I had been here a long time, I was not allowed to go.

On the day of the excursion, as I walked in to the office I was told that I had to be at the Education Department just after lunch. Great, I wanted to go but then resigned myself to the fact that I wasn’t allowed to, and now I have to change my plans again? Not nice, really.

At the office I was met by a few other teachers grumbling about the same think I am grumbling about now, but hey, there we were and Yeoju is where we were heading.

Surprisingly, after that bumpy start, the day turned out to be rather enjoyable for me. I think it was the combination of things I had not seen before but was actually interested in and me being overly tired. See, when I get to tired I either get very grumpy or slightly crazy. Yesterday was the chance for the crazy to “be” and I enjoyed everything right up to the point where I fell asleep on the bus home.

Right from the start it looked like the organisers put a bit of effort in to this and for that I am really grateful. It is all too easy for us to just think no one cares about us, but I can honestly say that if you really look at the bigger picture then we are treaded splendidly while we are in Korea. We had snacks (too much sugar, but whatever) and drinks, someone to translate and guide us to all the locations as well as English guides at each of the locations.

We were taken to the tomb of Saejong the Great, one truly amazing man in Korea’s history, a temple next to the river (not so impressive) and the Mog-Ah Museum, a place that displays Buddhist wood carving of amazing quality. Who knew Yeogu had things like this? I will be making serious plans to return with my SLR camera. I just hope the scenery at the tomb of The King will still be this nice when I get my chance to go back.

I didn’t really have time to fetch my camera, or at least that is what I though, so all I have to show is this rather random looking selection of photo taken with my phone and “edited” with Instagram. No descriptions as yet.



UntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitled
 

No comments:

Post a Comment