Friday 15 April 2011

Jargon

I was tring to find out what 95% Confidence interval meant and found this on Wikipedia:
In statistics, a confidence interval (CI) is a particular kind of interval estimate of a population parameter and is used to indicate the reliability of an estimate. It is an observed interval (i.e it is calculated from the observations), in principle different from sample to sample, that frequently includes the parameter of interest, if the experiment is repeated. How frequently the observed interval contains the parameter is determined by the confidence level or confidence coefficient.
I'm sure it is right, but come on. If I am looking for something on Wikipedia then I am likely not an expert on the subject. Drop the jargon, man. (I honestly believe that people who at explain something without at least trying to avoid jargon does not truly know what they are talking about.)

No comments:

Post a Comment