Thursday 16 August 2012

For the Alliance

I’ll try to keep this short…
Just before going to bed last night I logged into Word of Warcraft (WoW) to do some house keeping in other words, make some in game money. I logged on to my banker to check and repost my auctions then logged on to my Alchemist to transmutation something and then fly to another zone. While flying I noticed people talking in one of the general chat channels. They seemed all excited about badmouthing the other faction and this inevitably turned to going in to the other faction’s main city and killing their leader.

“What, what, what?” I hear you say (and if you are not saying that, then I’m pretending that you are actually interested.) In The WoW there are two factions. A character can belong to only one. Each faction has a selection of races, some of which have their own home cities. In each of these cities there is a leader. If you kill all four you get a nice Battle Bear to ride on.

One big problem is that when we attack, players from the opposing faction are allowed to join in and protect their leader, by killing you. For Horde, in the main city called Orgrimar, they are very likely to join in, since a large part of the players will be right there seeing us pour in to kill their leader. In Stormwind, the main city of my faction, the leader is stashed away where no one can see him being attacked.

Aaaaaanyway, the guys in the chat channel reasoned that since WoW is so quiet at the moment, and since it was midnight, we would be able to kill Garosh Hellscream with little interference from other players. I thought about it and despite thinking it would fail, I swapped characters and announced that I was available for an invitation.

We met up on a peak overlooking Orgrimar, all 26 of us. For the people who know what I’m talking about, you never go without at least one full team of 40 people, yet, there we were, all psyched up and well short on numbers. Fully expecting us to fail and thus getting to bed sooner rather than later I followed all the other people in the flying dragons, hippogriffs and what have you in to the city.

Only about three people came in to tried and stop us. That was far fewer than was needed. I stood in amazement (healing here and there) while the health bar of the Horde leader crept lower and lower. We were actually going to do this, with only 26 people, and after I failed in so many attempts in better setup groups.

15 minutes or so of whacking away at leader he keeled over and my achievement notice popped on screen to show that I had finally done it. I was in a group that killed the most difficult of all the leaders in the game. Running on happy juice, most of us stood around killing some of the in game characters in the city and generally just annoying the other faction, while one or two players went to the next city. With this attack having gone so well l we thought we should just go do all the other cities.
Long story short, I was able to see some places I have never seen before, kill the remaining leaders one by one, allowing me to and return to my mail box to find a shiny new mount and a letter from the Kind of Stormwind himself. Two in the morning and with a smile on my face, I was reminded of one of the reasons online games like these can be so addictive. These achievements which, in reality are completely useless, turns in to mindless fun when done with a group of crazy gamers.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment