Thursday 17 May 2012

You may follow the light now.


When I ride to school I go through one particularly busy intersection. Most mornings there will be two men who control the traffic. One stands at the control box for the traffic lights and one in the intersection itself. The man in the intersection blows a whistle to indicate that the other should push a button that will start the light change. It works fairly well and no reason to find it strange.

But wait! The one with the whistle is waving his arms. He is waving his arms to tell cars to “come”.  But didn't I just say they changed they lights? Why, yes, yes I did.

All I can think is that he somehow things people actually care about his opinion after the lights have changed.  When the lights are red we stop, partly because they are red (this is Korea) and partly because there is someone in uniform. When it is green we go. The fact that some nutter is waving his arms telling me what the lights are already telling me, is just, well, strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment