Monday 7 May 2012

I’ma gonna rip your head off.

Someone posted a photo on Facebook that read:

2010: “Come at me bro.”
1800: “Advance towards me brethren.”

It is funny, but I dare say, stupid. The word brethren is used to mean you are a member of my in-group, specifically, my congregation or part of the protestant religion in general. Are you really going to tell a whole church to come at you? Instead I would like to put forth an alternative.

2010: Pulls shirt of and shouts “Come at me Bro!”
1800: Draws sword and declares “Advance towards me, Sir!”

I checked. They still had swords back then because flint lock rifles were not practical to carry around all day. Not so sure if they went about calling each other “Sir” but I am fairly confident they did.

Now I am thinking hooligans in Newcastle (film version) and someone shouting “I’ll fooking kill yah!” Geordies say that, don’t they?

Update:
Someone mentioned that the phrase “Come at me Bro” was uttered my Tybalt in Romeo and Juliette.I was slightly sceptical and thought I would look it up. All roads lead to Jersey Shore, and this:

No comments:

Post a Comment