Tuesday 27 March 2012

Setting myself up for pain and agony


I took a huge step in my Korean studies today…

In January I started the Seogang University Korean Language course. I am not attending classes, but instead I bought the books and study on my own while attending Language Exchange on Wednesdays.

What I do is I study a section in the lesson book, referring to the notes provided with it as often as I need to, and then I finish the corresponding section in the work book. This is the part that is gold. Not only do you get a lot of extra vocabulary here, but you also get to practice what you learned, a lot. When I’m done with this I give it to some at the language exchange and ask them to check it for me.

Book 1A is pretty pedestrian, but needed as a foundation. For the most part it doesn’t teach you much in terms of usable language. Book 1B is where the magic starts happening. You suddenly start jumping in to future tense, and that is what people often want to talk about. “What are you going to do…?”

I went ahead and photo copied part of the lesson as well as my finished exercise and handed it to two teachers here. One is always on me, in a friendly way, to learn Korean. Her English is pretty good. The other sits next to me and has, shall I say, not so good English. On handing over the papers I informed them that from tomorrow onwards they are allowed to use that with me any time they want. If I embarrass myself then too bad for me, so I will have to learn fast and learn hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment