Wednesday 28 March 2012

Gum be illegal in these here parts,cause I says so.

I have never had a problem with students’ chewing gum, or even eating in my class. I do have a problem with them doing it and trying to hide it, because that is when they stick it under the tables and stuff the papers into holes. I have seen many students chew gum in class and politely asked them to throw in the bin when they leave. For whatever reason, they respond well to these requests.

After lunch I often chew gum because I’m talking to students face to face. My co-teacher politely asked me to spit it out. As per norm I don’t really mind doing something when there is a reason, so naturally I curious as to why she thought I should do it. Something seemed odd. The conversation went something like this with me paraphrasing the English:

Her: “Would you mind not chewing gum in class?”
Me: “Sure, but why?”
Her: “Because I tell my students they are not allowed to eat it, and I spit it out before I go to class.”
(Reasonable, but I too have a reason for chewing it at this particular moment, but thinking that her habits have no place as part of a reason and…)
Me: “Oh, and why do you tell them that?”
Her: “Because it is a school rule.”
Me: “And why is that a rule?”
Her: “Because if you don’t do it you will get a penalty”
(Cards that get recorded on a computerised system.)
Me: “But why is it worth a penalty?”
(Resisting the urge to go in circles she is now completely lost for words she just looks as me.)

Me: “When students are finished with the gum they stick it under the tables or just spit it on the floor.“
Her, wide eyed: “No! That is RUDE!”
(To quote Mohammad: “No Shit, Sherlock.”)
Me: “Yes, I know. Those black spot students scrape of the floor every week are pieces of gum, not small mounds of blood. You are free to check under the tables if you want.”
(How did she not know this?)

Students are rude, and their parents are often no better. In the 5 minutes it takes me to walk down walking street in town I will see at least one girl gwel on the ground and no telling how many boys and men, and I will hear at least two people “clear their throats” to spit up whatever they suck up from all the way down at their anuses.

Rules have reasons. They always do. Those reasons might be stupid, or out-dated, but they are reasons none the less. In this case it has to do with “rude” students.

No comments:

Post a Comment