Monday 19 July 2010

The Road to Pretoria.

11:00, Korean Time, 2000 City

One of the nicer things about living in civilization is that there are usually taxis available. I went to the entrance of the complex, asked a taxi to take me to my apartment, asked him to wait for me to fetch my stuff and then headed to the terminal.

The ticket office at the terminal said that the bus was only at mid day, so that meant I could relax and have something to eat.


11:55, Korean Time, 2000 City Bus Terminal

Supply of Kimbab and Pocari in hand, I’m waiting at 2000 City bus terminal for the airport bus. This year I’m arriving early. Last year I arrived at check-in 5 minutes after they were supposed to have closed and at the boarding gates as they open them.


13:00, Korean Time, East Seoul Bus Terminal

We actually arrived at the terminal at 13:00, but we didn’t pull in to our parking bay until 13:25, and then only long enough to pick drop off the old and pick up a few more airport bound passenger. Our driver seems a bit pushed for time. Hope it does not compromise his driving ability in this rain.


14:15, Korean Time, Gimpo Airport

Passengers off... passengers on... bus moving.


14:55, Korean Time, Icheon Airport

This sure went much faster than I expected, but rather early with a bit of rain than late because I didn’t plan for torrents like I had last year. Get a coffee, crack open a book and study while you wait for check in time.


17:30, Korean Time, Incheon Airport

Check-in done and no problems with the weight. That is what you get from planning.

They took my little thingy of moisturiser and my toothpaste, because both were in containers of 125ml, 25ml over the limit. Let me restate is. The CONTAINERS were 125ml, not the content. No point arguing because the people at the check don’t make the rules, but how stupid.

And don’t even get me started on the small sharp objects while I am allowed to take a bag full of pens in. You know how it goes. Terrorist throws down the long sharp pen, pull out the nose scissors with the 1cm long blade and threatens the flight attendant with it.


19:30, Korean Time, Incheon Airport

There are anxious people. They want to get on the plane where they can then do some more sitting. Funny how people feel relaxed once they are on the plane. It’s as if the trip is not happening until their bags are stowed and they have the remote in hand. All they have to worry about then is how long it will take for the food to arrive and when that “waitress” is coming around so that another drink can be ordered.


23:15, Hong Kong Time, Hong Kong Airport.

Transfer time again. I’ve been through here enough times to know where to find the food and what shop are worth wasting time in. To bad I’m not allowed in to those exclusive lounges. To bad I have to make a run for it with only once hour transfer time.


07:45, South Africa Time, just before decent in to “Johannesburg” (Kempton Park)

From landing to exiting the arrival gates in 45 minutes! ONLY 45 MINUTES!


08:30, South Africa Time, Pretoria, the actual capital

My other home aaaaaaand DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment