Wednesday 22 January 2014

All for the small price of...

When I went to my new dentist I told him to do a check-up and fix whatever he needed to fix. I also asked him make me a new guard for my mouth, because I grind my teeth when I sleep.

He went on to explain that the guard would be expensive (whatever, I need the thing) and that it would take a few weeks to make because I would need to come back for a fitting and then for check-ups. Again, whatever. Let’s do this.

After fixing my cavities we finally started making the guard yesterday, and was it a process. No one has ever been so thorough when making me a guard.

He started by checking my jaw alignment. Apparently my jaw position and bite position is not the same. He thinks this might be because of the abrasion I already have on my teeth, but since I am not experiencing any pain he decided to use the my bite position for making the guard.

Then he took 4 separate measure and prints. First he took a print of where my teeth met. While this plate was in my mouth, he used it to measure the exact alignment is compared to my ears and nose. Weird, but OK. If it works and will give me a better guard, then why would I complain?

After that came the usual molds of my teeth, but again, something new. First he used a silicone gun to coat my teeth with a warm gel, after which he placed the mold cup and whatever is in it on my mouth.

Next week I have to go back for a fitting, and after wearing it for a week I have to go back again to check everything is still OK. At least all of this is included in the nasty price of 500,000 won. It is expensive, but for the same price previous dentists hardly even spoke to me. They just slapped the stuff in my mouth to make the mold and a few days later I was given my guard. Done. Good Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment