Friday 28 June 2013

Badoo Badoooooo!



My new Android phone is empty and needs to be fed. To feed it with a nice collection of apps I was reading up on best/most popular apps for Android. Badoo was mentioned as a dating app. I knew more nothing about the app, which turns out to be a site as well, but it was recommended and I thought I might as well download it and see what it does. Last night I finally got around to opening the app. I filled in the very bare essentials uploaded a photo.

When I woke up this morning I had a view visits, mostly men. Two clicked the “show interest” button, wherever that is, and a further two sent me messages. The one message read:

“Hi, there^^
What u looking for? mean girl or boy?”

Say what? Why would a straight guy be looking for a boy, and why a “mean” boy? My profile clearly stated that I am straight. I changed that after a guy showed interest in me within the first 5 minutes of signing up. (Edit: After proofreading this post I realised that maybe he was trying to say “I mean, boy or girl?”)

Today I spend a few minutes on the site, quickly filling out my profile and changing setting so that I will not be bothered on my phone all the time. Turn out that one of my settings said I was interested in meeting both men and women. No wonder! I’m not opposed to meeting men, but considering that this is a dating site, the men I will be meeting will not just be interested in having someone to occasionally go watch sport with.

Even before the men, with even less information on my profile, I had a message from a woman saying how much we have in common, calling me dear and such nonsense. These things are amazing. No matter what you say the next message will be more romantic and within 5 messages or so you will somehow be madly in love with each other, her parents know all about you and she wants to come visit. Then the request for money starts. Did I mention the model photos? If you ever get a message like that give some nonsensical answer and see how the cut and paste replies come back.

Now that I know what this site/app is about, I’m going to be having some fun. F***ing with idiots who can’t be bothered to read a profile can be very entertaining.

******

After finishing my profile I had a quick look at who visited my page. 75% of the visitors were men. It is interesting how online dating has made it easier for men to meet each other without the fear of being punched in the face by some idiot who thinks it is his business what two people do in their private lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment