Monday 3 December 2012

Portrait photography

Setting up :)

On Sunday I went for my first solo off-camera photo session. It just so happens that it was also my first time going with the intention of getting portrait photos.

A young woman from my town volunteered to let me abuse her time in the hope of getting a good photo of herself out of it. I think I convinced her when, out of all the people at the Language Exchange I walked up to her and asked her personally, saying that I have seen many of her Facebook photos and know that she is quite photogenic.

We met close to my apartment because we live only a block from each other and made out way to a park which I thought might be nice for photograph.

When we arrived I set up my stand and umbrella for only the second time ever, and changed to setting on my flash to something I that I forgot the meaning of. All that was left was for just have Miss Joo to sit and pose in a natural way.

Turns out this photography things is not so difficult to do. Sure, I look at the photos and see how I can improve, but for the most part the photos are still much better than I would have done with no flash or with a phone.

By far my favourite photo of the day was this one. Shot with the flash at full power (apparently not the way to do it), shutter at 1/250, aperture at f8 and focal length at a fully extended 250mm. It looks rather good in colour as well, but Black and White is still where my heart is drawn to.

*

Looking at this photo I think a back light and the front flash with a little less power would have been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment