Wednesday 7 September 2011

YOU, WAIT! YOU, GO!

Stopping at one intersection on my way to school, I saw two men, dressed in blue, directing the traffic. I assume they were police. It is a rather busy intersection and it would make sense that someone would direct traffic there.

Problem was that they were only directing motorists do to what the traffic light were already telling to do. When the light turned green, they would tell the cars to go. When it turned red they would tell them to stop and tell the next group with the green light to go. Stupid, isn’t it? I thought so.

I did however remember seeing them on a previous occasion. I normally pass this intersection much earlier and I saw them arrive a few days ago, but didn’t see them actually do anything. On that day they did have what seemed to be a control box open and was getting ready for something, apparently that something was this.

See, they work in threes. Two guys direct the traffic, or more accurately, make sure people do what the lights are telling them to do. They also keep an eye on how many cars are waiting. When they think it is appropriate, they signal the third guy, he presses the button and the next group of cars goes.

I guess they are not that stupid after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment