Thursday 8 September 2011

I’m going to hell, for sure, or maybe heaven. Who knows?

I was obviously not raised in a Calvinist environment because I don’t remember every thinking that, no matter what I do, my entrance in to heaven had been decided on before I was even born. This is called Unconditional Election, I think, and apparently most of South African Christianity is Calvinist meaning they follow this doctrine.

This leads me to many questions. Why make an effort? Why go to church? Why stay away from all those “bad” things around you? Why be nice to people? Why spread the gospel to people who will go to hell no matter what they do, or go to heaven even if you yourself don’t do “convert” them?

How can people believe in something like this? If they argue that some other doctrine allows you to get in to heaven, then they are saying that this doctrine is a lie, which brings us back to how you can follow something that is a lie? Someone help me out here, please.

Would you believe I found this out by reading up on Afrikaans?

As a side note, I’m considering travelling somewhere this Chuseok, just to see to experience the traffic, and take photos of the people who cook and sell food on the gridlocked highways.

No comments:

Post a Comment