Friday 27 May 2011

Meong-Meong goes my cup

As part of the culture class at our Friday Korean lessons we made our own cups. I suppose it is because Icheon I Korea’s ceramics capital and studios offering classes are all over. Although I don’t really see the point of doing this, I do appreciate the effort and money they put in to letting ups do this. It was kind of fun as well.

The blank slate

The Slate

This is the blank slate on to which we were going to draw out designs. We were given paper to work on ideas, a pencil and dry toilet paper. The toilet paper was the eraser. If you make a mistake all you have to do is rub at it with the toilet paper and it goes poof. To a lesser extent it also works on the paint. You would not believe how difficult it is to draw on a curved surface if you are not used to it.

The Idea

I like cow. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with them being funnyly stupid and delicious at the same time. I have Facebook profile pictures of them, I have photos of them. And now I am going to have a cup with one.

This was my design. 멍멍 (Meong Meong) is supposed to be the sound gods make in Korea. Go figure. Pigs go “Cool Cool”. Because drawing the cup was difficult, I deiced to make a dark drawing and press it on to the cup. Interesting thing is that if you do that you reverse the image, and the writing. Who would have thought? I also forgot to print the tail one. Boooo.

Moo-Mong
The almost final product.

The Product

You think it is hard drawing on a cup? Try painting, when you are not even used to painting. Notice the missing tail?

You know you’ve been in Korea to long when you draw something cute for your cup and our manliness is not threatened one bit.

I appologise for the bad page layout. My normal editor is not working and I havent coded pure HTML for quite a while now. I'm just not going to put hours in to just making a table work with pure coding.

No comments:

Post a Comment