Saturday 28 May 2011

Christian music never suched

Christian music does not have to suck. Christian music does not suck. You are just listening to the wrong music.

I used to listen to a lot of Christian music when I was at university. I was introduces to it by the people I lived with. They were all very active Christians and would listen to it all the time. Before that I never knew there was so much decent music produced by Christians, for Christians.

Up until then Christian music, to my mind, was the drab recording of the five or so singers who lead the congregation. All they ever did was sing songs that al sound pretty much the same. It’s been years and that style has not change one bit. Even if I hear it on Korean I immediately know what I am listening to. I always have and always will dislike that style.

I also dislike the music that was all mushy about God. I just never “felt it”. A bit of Christian was never an issue, and there is a surprising amount of Christian songs that ARE Christian, but does not SOUND Christian. These are songs that anyone can listen to. The music is just as good as main stream music, the lyrics are nice and will not bother anyone and all in all they are worth a spot on main stream radio.

One of the first groups I liked was Jars of Clay. They are still around and still making decent music, but this was the song that I loved, and still like a lot.

Rebeca St James made good music, but her lyrics were generally to Christian for me. Again, I like the subtle lyrics when it comes to “Gospel”. Having said that, this song of hers will always be a favourite of mine. The original by John Farnham was the first song I ever loved and to this say I know the lyrics. Miss St James added a tad more rock, and that for me that is usually a winner.

Considering Lily was the lighter side of my listening list. I often wondered what exactly made them a Christian band. They rarely said much in the lyrics that would define them as such.

Some bands to make it in to the mainstream with some of their songs and more people are blissfully unaware that they are in fact listing to Christian music, with a quite obvious Christian message to boot. Newsboys was/is one of those bands.

I would love to get to know the new music a bit more, but since I don’t have anyone to give me pointers, and I am too lazy to find it myself…

No comments:

Post a Comment