Thursday 29 May 2014

Songdo, Incheon

The Incheon Free Economic Zone is located just South of Incheon proper. It is being developed to encourage international businesses to come to Korean by offering large tax breaks, subsidies and estate support. Development started in the mid 2000s and the final phase is planned to end in 2020.

Songdo International Business District, Songdo-dong, Songdo International City, Songdo New City, or just Songdo, is one of three districts inside the IFEZ. It’s impressive looking, with wide straight streets, modern building and clean surroundings. I’ve been here a few times before, but every time over a weekend. One thing that strikes me every time was how quiet it is there. It always feels like there's nothing happening there, like the only people there are curious visitors from other parts of the Gyeonggi-do. It is possible that weekdays are busier, but I've not been there during the week, so I can't be sure.

I went there a last weekend for the street racing that was mentioned in 10Mag, but there was no racing. Turns out it was canceled, because, you know, we are still being subjected to forced mourning over the sinking of the Saewol ferry. Let me just leave my opinion at that. I thought that since I was there already I might as well take a few photographs.

First up is a view over the canal running through Central Park.

New City


Just out of view of the first photo, there are these two buildings. I haven't yet found any information on them though. They are interesting because no matter where you stand, some part of the building looks warped. This angle at which I took this photo shows the strangest view.

Songdo New City


The Tri-Bowl Multiplex Cultural Center is a structure that is not easy to miss. Apparently there is art from the 1969 -1990 inside, but I was not able to go in. It might be because it was a Sunday. The only information I could find says that it is closed on Mondays only.

Tri-Bowl Multiplex Cultural Center

Tri-Bowl Multiplex Cultural Center


The North-East Asia Trade Tower, is apparently the worlds most expensive real estate development in the IFEZ. Well now. Why throw the word “world” in there when you are only talking about developments in Incheon. This is like saying the computer in my apartment is the worlds most expensive computer in my apartment. It means nothing, really.

A more meaningful piece of information is that it is 68 floors high, currently the highest building in Korea.

Northeast Asia Trade Tower

The race has been rescheduled to a bit later and I will try to get to it then to get an image or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment