Tuesday 19 May 2009

Oh brother!

Usually after lunch I take my cup, get water from the water machine, and brush my teeth at my table. I rinse and clean the brush in the cup. I know, it is not the most desirable way, but it is not THAT bad. Afterwards I just damp the water in the basin inside the office and wash everything away.

Today I was told/indicated that I should either not dump my water in the normal basin or I should brush my teeth outside. I am not sure which. Either way, I don’t see the point. I am not being rude. I am not dirtying the basin or the water, so what is the issue. It is one of those “We do it because we do it” jobs?

****

My co-teacher just explained to me that they don’t like it if I dump the water in basin. I don’t get it. If brushing my teeth did nothing to clean it, then why brush it. If it DOES clean my mouth, then surely the water is not unhygienic, is it? It is not clean, but neither is my day old coffee. There is nothing in there that will make you sick.

Apparently the idea is that the basin is for public use where people wash dished. What makes them think that washing dished and having microscopic food scraps in the sink is somehow cleaner than my just brushed mouth?

This is not going well with my day that has already been screwed up by the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment